The villa Lugarna was built in 1910 according to Carlo Mantegazza’s project. It was commissioned by Mr. Alfredo Wyatt, a wealthy English merchant who had made his fortune in India. The villa has an imprint of the English style both in terms of the structure of the villa and its interior furnishings. The style has been maintained over time and the original wood panelling, doors and furnishings have been preserved (even if some of them require to be replaced or renovated).
Mr. Wyatt wanted to build this villa close to the Golf Club (Menaggio and Cadenabbia Golf Club of 1907) and called landscape architects and designers from England to create ponds and waterfalls that still exist and embellish a park of about 25,000 m2, which is also show features of the “English style” and guarantees total privacy and quietness. The park has centuries-old plants (published on Gardenia).
The villa and the entire property offer a fabulous view of the Lake Como, the “dolomitica” Grona, Mount Legnone and the Swiss mountains (Pizzo Badile).
Ponds and home water are being filled by the sources that belong to the property.
The villa has an area of about 800 m2 easily expandable in the attics.
A custodian house (that has to be completely restored) has a large garage and an apartment of about 75 m2 on the upper floor.
There is also a large greenhouse of 60 m2, a tool shed, a barbecue and other small premises.
In the park there is a piece of space preserved for the construction of a tennis court and there is a possibility of building a swimming pool near the house.
There is also a residual volume for the construction of approximately 1600 m3 (about 500 m2).
The Menaggio and Porlezza shops can be easily reached by car in 5-10 minutes.
Menaggio is about 40 km from Como and Lugano (Lugano / Agno airport), and 80 km from Milan (Malpensa airport).